Pages

Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,



Hebrews 12:1







Monday, March 28, 2011

The beauty of old books

View Image




This morning I started a new book for my history/literature class. The book is On the Incarnation by Athanasius, who was the bishop of Alexandra in the mid 300's A.D ( Don't feel bad if you don't know who or what this is. I didn't even know Athanasius or his book existed until I learn what I was read for this class!)  The introduction was by C.S.Lewis. He explains why it is better to read old books straight from the source rather then taking some biased professor's ideas about what he thinks the author is really trying to say.  Then he says this:


       " In the days when I still hated Christianity, I learned to recognize, like some all too familiar smell, that almost
          unvarying something which met me, now in Puritan Bunyan, now in Anglican Hooker, now in Thomist Dante.  It was
          there ( honeyed and floral) in Francois de Sales; it was there ( grave and homely) in Spenser and Walton; it was    
          there ( grim but manful) in Pascal and Johnson; there again with the mild, frighting, Paradisial flavor, in Vaughan
          and Boehme and Traherne.  In the urban sobriety of the eighteenth century one was not safe- Law and Butler were
          two lions in the path.  The supposed "Paganism" of the Elizabethans could not keep it out: it lay in wait where a
          man might have supposed himself safest, in the very centre of The Faerie Queen and the Arcadia.  It was, of
          course, varied; and yet- after all- so unmistakeably the same; recognisable, not to be evaded, the odour which is
          death to us until we allow it to become life:"


I must admit that while I haven't heard of half the men that C.S. Lewis refers too, I thought that this was a beautiful, dare I say it, almost poetical way of describing the beauty to be found in old books and why it is sooo important to read them.  So I guess I will go look up the men I don't know  right now and figure out what they wrote and if there is a translation in English! 

Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment